Monday 4 March 2013

today's connected student

So I've been struggling with what todays connected student looks like: from reports of Facebook membership evaporating among teens, to rumours of anonymous messaging apps... Am I really already 'not with it'?

So instead of guessing, I've tried to do some research on the 21st Century Connected Student:

From the Pew Research Center, we get info on what devices they are using -  -  -  -->

A quick search of wikipedia gives us some of the most popular social networking websites in North America:
facebook, fourSquare, skype, Google+, pinterest, snapChat, flickr, imgur, youtube, blogspot, blogger, netflix, reddit, instagram...

And an app search reveals: kik messenger, tumblr, vine, Voxer (walkie-talkie), wordpress...

While these are all access points/tools to communicating with one another, they really give no hint to the amount that students use them - that is how popular Instagram is over Facebook among adolescent users. A recent article published by the San Francisco Chronicle highlights Facebooks waning popularity with youngsters, and hints that they're looking for different, more private ways of connecting than 'big brother'-esque Facebook.
Interestingly, and I attribute this largely to a generational divide, but I have seen few 'connected students' posts that consider gaming consoles and their attached online communities (like XboxLive) that surround particular games (like the infamous Call of Duty series of first-person shooters). Personal computers still satisfy groups of players on MMORPGs, which constitute an entire different form of social-networking where individuals are encouraged to create an online persona that differs from their away-from-the-keyboard identity. 

So it's with some forethought that I present my 'Connected Student' diagram:



2 comments:

  1. Hmm this post really got me thinking. I definitely worry about becoming disconnect from my students. I already notice things that have changed since I was in high school, the new boy bands or popular movies have changed a lot. I think that how our students use technology is different to. It will be challenging but vitally important to work hard to keep up to date. Thanks for shedding some light on this issue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I think that how our students use technology is different to."

      - I feel that this is such a key insight into what is changing about technology and technology use: I love books, I grew up with them, reading them, and I collect them to a certain extent (books of great ideas, ones that epitomized different times of life) in the same way that some people collect vinyl. Given a choice to read on paper versus a monitor, I will always choose a book to hold in my hand.

      I'm aware that enjoyment of print is dated, uneconomical, inefficient and all-around bulky, but there is a comfort factor that I have with that medium, and thus continue to use it - despite my otherwise comfort level with technology and the internet. I highly doubt that any of my future students will share my affection for print, despite the content being identical.

      Delete