Monday 4 March 2013

I have little [digital] feet apparently

According to UrbanDictionary.com, a 'Nick Baron' is:

A troll commonly found riddling people around and abouts the Hillsborough county area in Florida.

Which I thought was odd, mainly because I've never once riddled anyone around Hillsborough County.

... And so began my search into my digital footprint. Googling my name returned nothing of interest in the top 10 links; aside from the definition (above) and use-in-a-sentence (below).

That bouncer just riddled me to get in the bar, must be a nick baron.

Awesomely, the top rated item from Bing.com was for Special Agent Nick Baron's (no relation) investigation into the 'Dimitron Duo', who were wanted by the FBI on fraud charges. However, neither Bing or Yahoo.com returned any valid results within the first 50 items. In fact, it wasn't until the thirtieth item that this blog showed up in Google, representing my first footprint in the digital world.

Interestingly, a person-specific search engine called ZoomInfo did actually return one valid result: my employee profile from when I interned for multinational Enterprise Rent-A-Car. So with such few results, I took a page out of Mr. Affleck's blog on his digital footprint, and combined my location (Brandon) with my name.

While adding the address did not change the ZoomInfo results in any significant way, it did have an immediate impact on the traditional search engines, with the top four Google links actually being me!

Surprisingly, none of my twitter, Facebook or social media content came up - in fact the only information that I could find was related to the blogging we have done for this course, and my participation as a karate instructor.

What little feet I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment