Sunday 24 February 2013

on blogging, commenting, tweeting, searching, curating... and comprehending

Dear classmates of Prof. Mike Nantais 'Internet for Educators', 

With class time last week being designated as group-project work and an informal sharing session, it allowed me time to reflect on the past weeks: on the speakers who've taken the time to share with us, on the different tools each of us use, the impact those instruments and ideas may have on my future classroom, and the responses from you - my fellow classmates - on all of these ideas.

First, how do you all stay up on reading everyone's blogs? I've attempted to use a Chrome extension called 'SpeakIt!' which converts website text into audio via the voice of your choice: English Canadian Male speaker or Hong Kong Cantonese Female or ..., &c. While I really like 'hearing' what you have to say - the app still requires that I select each individual bits of text, which  unfortunately is time consuming and undermines the real reason for attempting to use it in the first place. I've put the question to twitter to see what you all have to say:
In the same vein, I've constantly ran into a little bug where I'm unable to comment on your  blogs because my profile is not signed in - despite accessing your respective blogs from Google Reader and repeatedly clicking sign in. Which brings me to a bit of a techno-wish: why can I share your writings on Twitter, facebook, Google+; but I can't comment within Reader?  

Todays' a rant day dear readers: please place your rants below!

Edit: I'd also like to share with you my (current) go to site for new music: 

indiecurrent.com






5 comments:

  1. Glad I'm not the only ranter... I have a low patience threshhold when I can't figure out something tech related! Yesterday I had to go sledding to cool down after my computer ate 2 blog entries I was working on. Am sure it was my fault somehow, but it made me mad(plus, I really like sledding...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard a few experienced bloggers (Couros maybe?) comment on twitter that they upload their blog posts from a traditional text editor (word &c.), as opposed to typing them out on blogger or wordpress. I thought that was interesting as it hadn't occurred to me previously.

      Delete
  2. Well I have also had some frustrating experiences trying to comment on the blogs; it's no picnic! Time and keeping track have been issues as well as glitches where it won't let me comment because I have back spaced too much. What I did that helped me with keeping track of who I had done was put all the blogs in my bookmark tab on my iPad. I go down the list each week, and I can go to them in a second! I now try and comment after I do each of my own blog posts, so I don't fall behind in commenting! I should have checked your post earlier, and the Tweet, to see how others are doing it! I hope you received some helpful tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick, great post! I too have been struggling with commenting on everyone's blogs, mostly because I don't know what to say! I hate repeating or rephrasing what others have said before me. As for tracking and keeping up to date with them, I don't have any suggestions unfortunately. I just use my 'Reading List' thing on Blogger, but I'm interesting to test out the SpeakIt that you mentioned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh I've struggled with the commenting issue as well!

      At first I only wanted to comment if I had something meaningful to ask, critique or add to the discussion, but realized a few weeks ago that I may be coming off as combative! Since then I've been trying to find a balance.

      Ps. I use the SpeakIt! extension with Google Reader actually!

      Delete