Thursday 17 January 2013

About me

Hi!

If you're reading this, you must be Professor Mike Nantais, or possibly a fellow student in Internet for Educators! In either case, if you'd like to know a bit more about myself, then please read on:

Although born and raised in rural Manitoba, I grew up with a duality to my identity: my mom emigrated from Sweden in the late 70's and we travelled back and forth as much as we could in the early years. We were always outdoors as kids, skating by age three and playing shinny whenever we could. At age 11 my uncle introduced me to Karate and I went on to compete provincially and then nationally, excelling in Kumite. At 16 I earned my black belt under Sensei Nishiyama and started instructing soon after. 

After high school I moved to Brandon, Manitoba and began working full time. I saved and travelled to Europe that next year. That fall I enrolled at Brandon University in the science faculty and began my academic career. Simultaneously I began working with adults living with disabilities and over time my studies at the university focused on psychology. I began assisting honours students in the lab under Professor Goernart, but transferred to Simon Fraser University in the fall of 2007. 

Living on the west coast, I completed my degree in Psychology while volunteering for the Vancouver Winter Olympics and in the Psychology and Law lab at SFU under Professor Mansour. In 2011 I traveled to Manila to meet close friends who had been teaching in Kuwait at the American Creativity Academy. I intended to only be gone for a month, but ended up traveling to Bali and then cancelling my flight back to Vancouver in order to move to Kuwait. There I tutored and subbed at ACA while living with my girlfriend and later traveled to South Africa, Jordan and Barcelona. 

That fall we returned to Brandon, where she quickly got a position teaching with the Brandon School Division. I returned to Brandon University in order to prepare to enter the After Degree Education program and began working with youth living with disabilities. That position transitioned into the Children's Disabilities Services "Summer Services" program, which provides programming for youth throughout the summer. In the fall of 2012 I entered BU's Education program and simultaneously accepted a promotion to be one of the coordinators for CDS.

I am currently enrolled in my second semester of Education at Brandon University, providing respite and coordinating programs for CDS, and instructing karate in Carberry, Manitoba while living in Brandon.

4 comments:

  1. Nick, welcome to Blogger and Internet for Educators. I think you will enjoy this class as we will be connecting with some very knowledgable educators. Plus, there are some pretty awesome second year students in it. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the blogiverse! I'm impressed by your travels and hope you can be as well travelled tech-wise as you are map-wise by the end of the course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have had lots of interesting experiences to share, Nick. Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome Nick! I have actually worked as a Child Development worker with CdS in Dauphin for the last 4 years :) Our Summer program is referred to as the "Summer GAP" program and runs differently than Brandon's but is meant to meet the same type of goals. We'll have to chat in class about this!

    Miss L
    Miss L’s Whole Brain Teaching

    ReplyDelete